Which Way Is Up?
It is hard to believe that just one week ago, we had our final zoning public hearing in which the Board of Supervisors voted 5-0 to approve our Special Exemption Permit for the Bed and Breakfast. I know in the days before this meeting, I had been wishing for it to hurry up so we could get started doing all the things we needed to get the doors open.
One week later, my head is spinning!
I think from the moment we walked out of the meeting, we haven’t stopped! We have been going from phone call to meeting to filling out forms to researching for contractors to gathering proposals… urgh!
Don’t get me wrong. I am not unhappy with all the work, but wow!
It went from zero to sixty in 2.5 seconds!
On the agenda right now:
- We need to get some minor repairs done around the mansion. It hasn’t been lived in for many years and has had some settling that has happened. So we have contacted several “Handyman Contractors” and set appointments to get estimates for the work we need to get done.
- We need to get some plumbing work done too. With no one there to run the water, things need to be flushed out. We have a contractor for it and once the proposal is approved, we will have them working on it.
- We need to get the driveway and parking lot installed. We have the proposal approved, but we need to get a telephone pole out of the way so we can get it done. The power company is going to be moving it within the next two weeks. Lucky for us, they are going to let us keep the old telephone pole. They are going to let us attach the osprey platform Brett built and they will “plant” it for us. We have to get the osprey nest moved before April 16th or we won’t be able to move it. Talk about a time crunch and balancing act! Whew…
- We need to get the grounds graded to level it out from years of erosion and animals making tunnels underground. We don’t want any one breaking an ankle walking across the lawn. They will also be reseeding parts of the lawn and placing sod up close to the house. But before they can do this, we need to finish getting the bricks pulled up out of the yard from the old sidewalks. Brett and Tyler completed the front of the house, but we still have the side and Riverside to get to. Guess what we will be doing for Easter weekend!
- We need to get the hickory tree cut down from the front of the mansion so we can make way for the driveway. I have tried as hard as I could to find a historic tree company to take the wood to make pens and other items, but the cost is too much for cutting them down and transporting them. It is killing me to think we will lose them.
- We also need to get our ABC license started, get our memberships completed and paid for and get our business license. We have a ton of things to write for the website, brochures and information books for the rooms.
- We also will be moving me up to the plantation this Friday. Brett will be traveling back and forth from Belle Grove to Chesapeake during the week until we open. That means we need to pack my things and get them loaded Friday afternoon.
The best part about this week is Friday is my last day at my current job!!
So while we make some changes this week and get things settled, please forgive me for not reading blogs or answering comments as quickly as I normally do. Once things get in place, I will have a little more time to devote to our blog.
Thank you to everyone for all you support, words of encouragement and prayers!
Without your support, this journey would not have been half as much fun!
Hey I will come and fix things lol! I want y’all to get it open. 🙂
Thank you! We may call you if we can’t get things done fast enough!
I know, any excuse. 🙂
are you going to stay at the plantation all by yourself for a while?
Yup, unless I have Hurley. But that will depend on what my schedule is. Don’t worry, I will be so busy running around, I won’t mind that I will have some peace and quiet in the evening.
Come Friday, it’s going to feel so good to be able to devote your full energies to all these exciting plans and changes! Good luck!
Yes, I really agree on that one! Thank you!
Wow. Good luck with it all! All those items starting “We need to…” are a bit daunting, but one day at a time!
Well, its just a list. And as we get things done, we just mark them off. Just like this journey, its one step at a time.
Wow, so much on your plate. Time to chow down on it!
Yes, I can feel that for sure!
Well done 🙂 You’ll be just fine 🙂 Lots of love from the South East of England x x
Thank you! We have really “felt the love all over the world” You all rock!
Congratulations! I’m rooting for you … 🙂
Thank you!! We need all that good vibe!
What an amazing journey, there is a lot of work ahead but it’s so exciting. Congratulations, all your hard work has paid off.
Thank you! Just get me through the next 30 days!! lol
I think the best part is that Friday is your last day at your current job!
Yes!!! You got it!
Good luck and go well !
And soon it will be opening day!!
Oh Jane! Do say soon!!
I have a possible idea for your hickory tree. We have artists in our area that make beautiful wood bowls from tress. (The inmates at a local prison do this, also.). When people lose their beautiful trees in hurricanes, they often have bowls in various sizes made from the wood. Maybe there is someone in your area who would be interested in doing this.
We may have a lead on something just like this. I am waiting for a call back or email to confirm it! Keep your paws crossed!
Just wanted you to know I nominated you for the Very Inspiring Blogger Award. Please don’t feel obligated to do anything.
Thank you so much! We really appreciate it! It does mean a lot to us!
Incredible… And, you still find time to blog 🙂 Good luck!
Thank you Amy! I have to get it in too! If I didn’t you all wouldn’t be on the journey with us!
Lots of work, but the satisfying kind. Or, in nautical terms, “ahead full”.
Yes captain! Thank you!
A lot to accomplish, but I know you will get it done. Just breathe…
Whew…. I’m trying!
I just went to Trip Advisor to add Belle Grove Plantation to my ‘want to go’ list and the closest I can get is Port Royal. Darn!
Soon my dear!
I envy you for living there full time! I’m sure all that driving ate up a lot of time.
It really did! But not any more!!
I may be able to help with your tree removal. This is Steven’s dad. Call me Tamara sent you my phone number.
Thank you John! We are move to the plantation today. Can I call you on Monday?
I posted on your FB page. I will be out by River Haven and could stop by if you are free. I can come by you. I would love to see the trees and maybe a peak at the house!
I am assuming you are John, Steve’s Dad. I spoke with Steve and were are going to see you on Thursday! Look forward to meeting you!
Oh, that is so much to do—but how exciting!